Pages

02/19/18 - Mark 7


Feb 19, 2018 – Mark 7

Jesus said: “What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean.'  For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts & behaviors…” - Mark 7:20

Rules don't fix hearts, only God can do that.

I grew up in a house that had many rules.  Not too many (I don’t think), and not actually wrong rules, but expectations of behavior nonetheless.  One of them involved words we were not allowed to say.  You can probably guess some of them, as my parents did not like foul language or cursing.  But one that annoyed me was the rule against the “f” word.  NO – I’m not talking about TODAY’S language!   The “f” word in my house was ‘fart’.  J  There were many other ways we could say something about that body release of air – but ‘fart’ wasn’t permitted.  So we were wise enough not to use the word in our house, but I had no problem using it with friends in other environments.  Of course, that was until one time I was not paying attention and accidently slipped saying it while laughing at my brother, only to discover my mom was right behind me.  Needless to say – that didn’t turn out so good!!!

My mom was right, there are better words to use for some things, but the rule didn’t really change my heart on it.  In fact, the rule just highlighted my attention to it!  I needed the rule to learn how to behave properly, but the rule also kept me focused on wanting to use the word as well.  The purpose of the rule was to help me keep a clean mouth, but ended up exposing how easy it is to develop a dirty mouth of hot air (no pun intended!).

We need rules, but they don’t change hearts.  I support them because they help us define proper behavior so we can live together well.  But thinking that we will be able to change people through rules or laws has already been proven ineffective.  The only fix to the heart is from the Spirit of God, not from behavioral rules.  What we need is a personal relationship inside our heart with the Holy God who loves us, that changes our beliefs, so that we are excited pursuing behavior He requests. 

In our day, we see culture trying to go the other direction.  Since rules are not fixing behavior, just throw out the rules.  While that may be a logical argument (maybe?), it lacks effectiveness as well.  If the heart was unclean before knowing the standard, it will be downright evil without one.  We still need a standard – and praise God we have one in Jesus!  He is both our Standard AND our Spirit!  He can fix the heart as our Savior, and direct the behavior as our Lord.  But the only way that happens is by starting with Jesus in our hearts.

That’s why trying to teach people who don’t know Jesus how to behave is rather pointless.  They may buy the logic for some things, but the next generation will question the rules, just like I did with my mom’s rules on proper language.  What every generation needs is to meet and know Jesus first, THEN discover the behavioral expectations He has for us.  We must first be baptized into Christ before learning how to behave like Christ.  Belief drives our behavior.

So be cautious with the rules of your home.  They are necessary, but what is more needed is a relationship with the Standard & the Spirit in Jesus.  Grow that relationship in your home, and the rules will take care of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment