Pages

11/12/18 - 1Peter 1


Nov 12, 2018

With a sober mind, set your hope on the grace we receive when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 1Peter 1:13

Don't let the world cloud your judgment, stay focused on eternal things instead of temporary ones.

One of the greatest ingredients of success (and failure) is the issue of FOCUS!

As a young boy, I always loved to play baseball.  As soon as I was old enough, my parents let me start playing in the local kids leagues, and I became a baseball junkie.  Throwing and catching came easy, but the hitting took some time.   It seemed like the bat never went where the ball was coming.  About the third year of playing, my coach made a keen observation that helped me start hitting well --- he suggested I keep my eyes open and WATCH the ball hit the bat!  Wow… what a difference that made!  For some reason, I had come to believe the ball would go farther if I closed my eyes while swinging J.  Soon, I was hitting line drives, and ended up batting cleanup for much of my youth.

Good lesson:  The secret to hitting a baseball happens to be FOCUS.  It’s also the secret to running a business, raising children, mastering a project, growing a marriage, building a career, and pursuing God.  If we don’t learn how to stay focused, we’ll never get very far.

That’s what makes today’s generation struggle so much … we have devalued the importance of FOCUS. 

-          Media has trained us to be scanning for many threads of activity – from video games to news.

-          We expect our brain to drive a car while talking on the phone, listening to music, and eating French fries.

-          Changing jobs and careers has become the norm, never allowing us to grow expertise in an area.

-          Our schedules are so cluttered, we see people seldom finish anything they start, and see less quality in the work accomplished.

-          Even Christians who surrendered their lives to Jesus find themselves unable to focus on regular prayer, or a daily devotional reading, or weekly worship. 

Sadly – ALL of the things that distract us are temporary ones!  Just like hitting a baseball, we find ourselves struggling to keep our eye on the ball, and more concerned about the crowd noise, the chatter of the defense, the atmospheric conditions, or the type of bat we’re using. 

Hitting is simple … stay focused on the ball and swing the bat to meet the ball.  Following God is pretty simple too … stay focused on Jesus and obey His principles.  If we’re ever going to find success navigating through this life as followers of Jesus, we’re going to have to learn how to stay focused on Jesus, and not on all of the other things around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment