Pages

04/15/12-2Kings6 - The Regret of Retaliation

2Kings 6:22 - “Do not kill them,” he answered. “Would you kill men you have captured with your own sword or bow? Set food and water before them so that they may eat and drink and then go back to their master.”

I punched a person one time in my life, and it felt powerful.

Actually, I have been punched several times and it was not fun. A few of those times I tried to defend myself and didn't do very well, and a few times I was able to fend off the jabs. But one time, I connected on a fist to their face...and the fight stopped there.

I admit it, it felt good at the time to have the superiority for once, and be able to defend myself. I even liked it a little---which made me feel even more guilty. The fight was over something stupid, ( I am not even sure the actual argument but it was at the end of a baseball game in our back yard). But even some 35 years later I still remember it and regret it.

If only I would have know about Jesus and His words on turning the other cheek. Or if I would have read Elisha's story about feeding the enemy. Maybe I would have reacted differently.

Elisha was brilliant--respecting life instead of retaliating. His wisdom not only saved the lives of those soldiers, it stopped the conflict between nations. Unorthodox and against all the instincts of the people, Elisha changed the destinies of families and stopped an ongoing war, simply by feeding his enemy.

Maybe we could learn a few things from Elisha. Maybe that broken relationship or personal feud could be resolved simply by humbling ourself and meeting their need. Maybe Jesus was right!!!

If you have a broken relationship or personal enemy (or an ex-spouse or a feuding workmates), give it a shot. Who knows... God might just use your kindness to stop a war.

And at worst, you won't regret it 35 years later like me. Kindness is never regretted later.

No comments:

Post a Comment