Pages

01/16/17 - Matt 11


Jan 16, 2017 – Matt 11

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matt 11:28

The answer for our struggles is to get up & walk to God, not sit around and wait for change.

Sofas are incredible pieces of furniture.  It’s amazing how much they can help remove my weariness and support my burden when I am feeling exhausted.  Laying down on my sofa and watching a movie or TV show seems to push away my burdens and soften my struggles.  That is … until I have to get back up again and discover the problems and burdens are still there.  Apparently, it’s only a temporary burden remover, returning them to me every time I leave.  Maybe that’s why some people spend so much time on their sofa --- trying to avoid the burdens and lessen their worries.

Jesus offers us a solution far better for dealing with burdens.  Instead of being a sofa that returns them to us after a short time, Jesus offers to replace our burdens with rest.  He is willing to take our burdens and swap them out.  But here’s the catch … I have to get up and Go To Him!  For the swap to work, I must carry those burdens to Him.  So my best plan for dealing with burdens is not a temporary sofa snooze, but packing up and traveling to Jesus.

If we are really honest with ourselves, we use the sofa method way too often.  Instead of putting the work into solving our problems, we sit around and wish they would change.  Instead of praying for Jesus’ help, we try our own way first.  I’m afraid all too often I settle for the sofa instead of seeking the solution, and watch small burdens grow into large problems.

Maybe it’s time to be ‘tired of being weary’ and go get some rest.  We don’t need a snooze on the sofa, we need restoration of our souls and spirits.  Jesus promises to swap out our burdens for His rest --- what a deal! 

Question: What’s the burden you are dealing with today?  Take it to Jesus and turn it over to Him.  Let go of it and instead allow Jesus to restore your spirit.  And DON’T come back home with it.  Trust Jesus to manage the burden.  Then you won’t need to use that sofa as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment