Pages

03/17/17 - Luke 12


March 187 2017 – Luke 12

People will say: "You have plenty laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry."  But God said: "You fool!" Luke 12:19

Fools live for the temporary, the wise live for eternity.

I really wish this story was not in the Bible.   I’ve often thought about blacking it out with a marker!

My dream for life was to marry well, raise a family, work a successful career, and retire from work early enough to enjoy playing golf and sitting along the beach in a sun-drenched state.  It not only seemed like a valid dream, it seemed appropriate and acceptable.  Like a roadside ‘vista point’, I was ready to set my sights on that view as I entered adulthood.

But then Jesus has to spoil that dream by telling this story about the rich foolish man.  Understanding it for the first time around the age of 22 really shook me up.  In fact, I STILL struggle with reading it, and try to find ‘loopholes’ that will allow me to justify being godly AND pursuing a retirement lifestyle. 

But God’s label for that dream stings me every time:  “You Fool!” 

While my soul knows it’s foolish, my heart still wants to argue.   I know in my soul:

-          It’s foolish to think I should have riches while millions go without food and water daily.

-          It’s foolish to put my focus on financial independence over spiritual purpose.

-          It’s foolish to think that Jesus paid for my sins on a cross so I could buy for a beach house.

-          It’s foolish to believe that worldly pleasure is what I was created for.

-          It’s foolish … extremely foolish … to settle for the temporary, instead of living for the eternal.

Jesus told the story of the rich fool, who squandered his life working for retirement instead of serving the Lord.  What the man got for his trouble was an empty life and a lost eternity (all for a few beers and periodic trips to our favorite destination).  From the vista point of eternity, that’s really foolish. 

But we live in a culture and a world that values the retirement plan.  Our vista point can only view the small valley of this existence, and it looks pretty limited.  So we see many take the foolish route, and think it’s the only way to go.  How disappointing to waste what God could have done with us. 

I don’t mean to rain on your calling or suggest that people with wealth are far from God.  Wealth isn’t really the issue here.  Jesus uses the story to challenge the “retirement mentality”.  We weren’t made to retire FROM life, but to reproduce IN life.  While I may not be gainfully employed all my life, I am to be productive for as long as He gives me life.  To be otherwise is simply foolish.

Every time my heart tries to press for ‘retirement living’,   those words: “You Fool”, echo from out of my soul.  Maybe that’s a good thing.  While I don’t want to always hear them, I’d rather be warned about foolishness than become a fool.  

So I guess I’d better keep that story from Jesus in my Bible after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment