Pages

05/01/18 - John 19


May 1, 2018 – John 19

They went up to Jesus saying: "Hail, king of the Jews!" And they slapped him in the face. John 19:3

Hard reality -- every sin is a slap in the face of God -- don't let your praise be words, but be obedience.

Reading the passion story of Jesus is never easy, no matter how many times I do it.  Imagining the terrible pain Jesus went through when the guards beat him, the emotional embarrassment of their ridicule, the physical torture of the flogging, and the excruciating pain of crucifixion… I can’t imagine what the participants were thinking.  How could they do that to any man … especially an innocent man?

But there are these moments of regret and guilt that also come over me on occasion.  I try to avoid feeling them, but it comes periodically nonetheless.  It’s easy to justify my own failures and sins.  I am fairly good at reasoning out my own behaviors in spite of the way they break God’s commands.  Yet it doesn’t change the results.  In my sin, I have injured someone – myself, another person, and especially Jesus.  And that’s when I see myself in the picture of Jesus’ story … a temple guard slapping Jesus in the face as I justify myself for the sin.

Every sin is a slap in the face of Jesus.  It’s a decision to disown His righteousness for my rights.  It’s the action that chooses to pursue my pleasure over His plans.  Sin is a rejection of what is true for a lie I believe in.  And Jesus takes the hit – He is the one I am ultimately slapping, spitting on, flogging, and nailing to the cross.

We may not have been born 2000 years ago, but we are in the crucifixion story.  Our names might not be listed in the Gospels, but we are there.  Our voices may call Jesus our king on Sunday, but our hands are striking him in the face on Monday.   We have slapped Jesus in the face.

Mother’s Day is coming up soon, and it’s a time to express our appreciation for our mothers (and maternal role models).  Imagine if you walked up to your mom and gave her a sentimental mother’s day card, but then slapped her hard across the face?  How appreciated would your mom feel if you repeatedly told her you loved her but then slapped her cheeks?  Your actions would be telling a different story than your words.

Jesus warned us in His greatest sermon that many people will profess allegiance to God by their words, but not by their obedience.  And Jesus’ response would be to go away – because He never knew them.

Don’t just tell Jesus you love Him, stop sinning!  Don’t just use words to profess your faith, obey!  We need to stop being the guards and soldiers in our abuse of Jesus, and start being the Mary & John who followed Him to the cross.  Demonstrate your love for Jesus by obeying His word and living righteously.    

No comments:

Post a Comment