Pages

05/02/18 - John 20


May 2, 2018 – John 20

Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." John 20:21

God's peace is found by following God's plan.

I’m a guy, so that means like most men I like to figure things out without reading the instructions.  I’m not sure why so many guys are like that, but it comes with the territory.  Sometimes it has worked out okay, but other times … not so much.

Like the time I built the roll-top desk we bought our daughter for Christmas, and briefly looked at the directions to get the idea, then quickly constructed it on Christmas Eve.  It looked great! The only problem was that the roll-top didn’t work because I had mounted and glued the top together in the wrong order.  (I didn’t sleep much that night.)

Or the time I was driving a van-load of people to a remote area for a wedding party, and the GPS voice directed me to turn on a road that was way earlier than I expected.  Of course I knew it was wrong and proceeded on, only to find out soon after that we were 30 miles off course and late for the event.  That was an uncomfortable trip for a while.  (I still occasionally am reminded of that mistake.)

There’s many more, but you get the point… disobeying the plan doesn’t bring much peace!

Jesus has a plan for all of us – and although the specific plan is a bit more unique, the general plan is simple – we are to GO REACH OTHER PEOPLE WITH HIS OFFER OF SALVATION.  That means breaking away from our own agendas.  It means reading the instruction book.  It means listening to His GPS.  Following the plan will bring us peace.  Not following the plan will do the opposite.

As a kid, I didn’t concern myself with finding peace … I wanted control.  But with maturity comes appreciation for the peace of a plan.  Sleep comes a lot easier when I’m not living apart from God’s desires.  Traveling on the roads of life seems to go better when I listen to His GPS.  It’s still a lesson I’m trying to learn better (yes, I am still a guy), but the truth is that God’s Peace is definitely found in following God’s plan.

(And by the way … if you’re a girl it’s true for you too … J)


No comments:

Post a Comment