Pages

I didn't Get Away With It-06/09/12

Proverbs 5:21 - For a man's ways are in full view of the Lord, and he examines all his paths.

I thought I got away with it...

When my mom had to take a trip to see family, my brother and I had the house to ourselves. PARTAY!!! We were excite about our independence and exercised it immediately. So some friends came over and we had fun together. Then before mon came home we cleaned up the mess and got rid if the evidence. Or so we thought. Years later it came up in a conversation and we found out my mom knew the whole time! She just used other means to find out what we were doing and the consequences were lost opportunities later. Not much ever got past mom.

Nothing ever gets by God...ever. He knows everything we are doing and all of the motives behind it. Thinking we are getting away with it is just a lie to ourselves.

Getting away with something is just long term sacrifice for a short term gain. It is us lieing to ourselves that we can avoid future consequences by hiding it. And often it looks like we do...until you look at the side effects of our choices. Hiding that party left many:
- less trust and freedom from our mom
- doubt in leaving my own child a home (if I did it, then why believe sh wouldn't)
- disappointment in myself
- guilt before God

Not all consequences are obvious, but they exist nonetheless.

The more we believe in consequences, the more we will avoid mistakes and sin. That's why God warns us about His watchful eye---not to make us rebellious but to encourage a better response to temptation and avoid the long term sacrifice.

Start believing that we don't get away with it. Then thank God for the grace and mercy He gives that avoids immediate consequences. And remember that Jesus took on the punishment that we thought we got away with.





No comments:

Post a Comment