Pages

My Way or the High Way-06/20/12

Isa 53:6 - We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

It's my way or the highway... but why is it when we use that line it often feels "low"?

Certainly there are right ways to do things, and wrong ways.  And often, there's a point to the reasoning behind our "my way".  With kids, the point is clear... they are not the authority.  With adults, we often hear this statement (or see it played out), when there has to be a clear expectation set.

Maybe we need to change the way we're looking at it ... it's the High Way or my way.  If our commitment to doing the right thing leads us to the "high way" (God's way), then we SHOULD be fully devoted to that method.  Now it's also true that Ephesians calls us to speak in Truth AND Love, but the High Way is best for everyone when we follow it.  Then it's really not about "my way" at all...

Be careful when you tell people what YOU want.  Just because I want something doesn't mean it's the right way, nor does it mean it's the path we should follow.  Instead, choose to seek the High Way.  What would Jesus do if He were you?  In that situation or decision, what decision would He make?  Instead of turning to My Way, turn to the High Way.

That requires some work up front --- including learning the Way from Jesus Himself.  It means learning the commands and principles of Scripture.  It requires a humble, devoted heart.  But the more we seek the High Way, the less we have to worry about My Way.

So I'm thinking about changing the statement --- It's the High Way or my way...  Truth be known, that's what Isaiah was saying about all of us.  We make the choice between doing what we want or what He wants (and usually, the High Way is a bit more difficult).

Choose the High Way!

No comments:

Post a Comment